Re: Where do you put your swap partition?

Am Samstag, 19. Januar 2008 03:30 schrieb Ron Johnson:
> I think it's foolish to have a swap *partition* in the 21st century.
It is not.
If you mean that you should install enough RAM to avoid swapping, that's
ok.

But there are other reasons for a swap partition in the 21st century:

* There are some Un*x-like operating system which are able to save system
  dumps on a swap partition for debuging after system crash. (At least if
  you use a kernel which enabels debuging).
  I don't know if Linux is such an operating system.

* If you like to use hibernate/suspend to disk, you can build a kernel
  with something like
	CONFIG_PM=y
	CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND=y
	CONFIG_PM_STD_PARTITION="/dev/sdaX"
  so that the kernel can save your RAM on /dev/sdaX before going to sleep.
  Afterwards it can resume/boot up with the parameter resume=/dev/sda5 or
  resume2=/dev/sda5 in your grub/lilo/.....-configuration very fast.
  I think hibernate/suspend to disk does not work with a swap file.

Thomas
--
Thomas Flaig