Re: LVM2 resize problem

On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 05:53:33PM +0100, Adrian Chapela wrote:
> I have a lvm volume with two PV. I need to take away one of them. The
> data size is less than one PV size. All of data could be writen on one PV.
>
> I can do a resize of filesystem, but I can do a pvmove. I can do a
> lvreduce and a vgreduce and the data seems to be OK but it isn't normal
> procedure.
>
> How can I quit a pv of a lvm volume ??

See the LVM-HOWTO, section 11.6 "Removing physical volumes from a volume
group", and the section 13.5 "Removing an old disk".

You'll need to reduce the filesystem to the correct size (less than the
LV will be when you remove the PV), then pvmove the drive away,
vgreduce.

Since I don't have the exact specs (size of fs, lv, vg, pv, etc), I
can't give you the exact steps, but it seems like you have the idea.

What is it you mean by "it isn't a normal procedure"?  Sure, one would
normally add a disk then remove a disk but if you don't need the space,
why bother?

CAVEAT: have a complete backup of the data off the box on which the LVM
system is managed.

Good luck.

Doug.