Re: Where do you put your swap partition?

Am Montag, 21. Januar 2008 15:50 schrieb Ron Johnson:
> On 01/21/08 03:16, Thomas Flaig wrote:
> > Am Samstag, 19. Januar 2008 03:30 schrieb Ron Johnson:
> > > I think it's foolish to have a swap *partition* in the 21st century.
> > But there are other reasons for a swap partition in the 21st century:
> You miss the distinction between swap partition and swap *file*.
Ok:

> > * There are some Un*x-like operating system which are able to save
> > system dumps on a swap partition for debuging after system crash.
Which un*x-like operation system can do this with a swap *file*?
On freeBSD you need a swap partition to obtain a kernel crash dump (at
least as far as I know).[0]

> > * If you like to use hibernate/suspend to disk, you can build a
> > kernel with something like
> > 	CONFIG_PM=y
> > 	CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND=y
> > 	CONFIG_PM_STD_PARTITION="/dev/sdaX"
Does this also work for a swap *file*? Or do I need a swap partition?

If it works with a swap *file* I would like to see an explanation how to
do this or a link to a HOWTO.

Thomas
[0]
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/kerneldebug.html