Re: Where do you put your swap partition?

Well...
As far as now we have advanced in discussing where the swap partition should be (the location on the hard disk)... or even if is convenient to have a swap file or a disk partition...
Are we in conditions to make a wrap up and a close up conclusion?

What do you think?

On Jan 21, 2008 10:38 PM, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> wrote:
On Mon, 21 Jan 2008, John Hasler wrote:
> Ron Johnson writes:
> > So, if a year down the road, you add more RAM and commensurately want to
> > increase the swap space, you're stuck.
>
> Adding memory is not a reason to increase swap.

No, but if you use the swap partition for hibernation, you might find
yourself in trouble if Murphy hates you, even if you do use LZMA compression
on the hibernation image.

Otherwise, yes, in a modern Linux system, you really just need as much swap
as you might need *extra* virtual memory.  But more swap lets the kernel
play some performance tricks (as in don't drop something from swap unless
that data is invalidated).

 Henrique Holschuh