Re: Where do you put your swap partition?

On 01/21/08 09:53, Thomas Flaig wrote:
> Am Montag, 21. Januar 2008 15:50 schrieb Ron Johnson:
>>> But there are other reasons for a swap partition in the 21st century:
>> You miss the distinction between swap partition and swap *file*.
> Ok:
>
>>> * There are some Un*x-like operating system which are able to save
>>> system dumps on a swap partition for debuging after system crash.
> Which un*x-like operation system can do this with a swap *file*?
> On freeBSD you need a swap partition to obtain a kernel crash dump (at
> least as far as I know).[0]

This is Linux, not BSD.

Of course, I've never heard of Linux being able to do crash dumps.

>>> * If you like to use hibernate/suspend to disk, you can build a
>>> kernel with something like
>>> 	CONFIG_PM=y
>>> 	CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND=y
>>> 	CONFIG_PM_STD_PARTITION="/dev/sdaX"
> Does this also work for a swap *file*? Or do I need a swap partition?

Since I don't have a laptop running Linux, I've never had reason to
examine this.

Can the STD partition be the same as the swap partition?

> If it works with a swap *file* I would like to see an explanation how to
> do this or a link to a HOWTO.
>

> Thomas
> -------------------
> [0]
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/kerneldebug.html
> | A “swap device” is synonymous with a “swap partition.”
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=dumpon&sektion=8
> | Because the file system layer is already dead by the time a crash dump
> | is taken, it is not possible to send crash dumps directly to a file.

That's weak.  OpenVMS is able to send crash dumps to pre-created
special files.

Of course, Linux not being able to do crash dumps at all is even weaker.

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian
because I hate vegetables!"
unknown