Re: Where do you put your swap partition?

Am Montag, 21. Januar 2008 17:34 schrieb Ron Johnson:
> On 01/21/08 09:53, Thomas Flaig wrote:
> >> You miss the distinction between swap partition and swap *file*.
> > Ok:
> > Which un*x-like operation system can do this with a swap *file*?
> > On freeBSD you need a swap partition to obtain a kernel crash dump
> > (at least as far as I know).[0]
> This is Linux, not BSD.
> Of course, I've never heard of Linux being able to do crash dumps.

Yes, this is Linux but you wrote about the 21st century. ;)
I didn't know if Linux is abel to do something like this or not.

> > Does this also work for a swap *file*? Or do I need a swap partition?
> Since I don't have a laptop running Linux, I've never had reason to
> examine this.
Even on PC's it would be a nice feature:
At home I prefer to power-off my PC if I am not at home.
Suspend to disc would reduce the boot-uop time, but I am too lazy to
configure this. ;)

> Can the STD partition be the same as the swap partition?
Yes, it should be a swap partition:

| CONFIG_PM_STD_PARTITION:
|
| The default resume partition is the partition that the suspend-
| to-disk implementation will look for a suspended disk image.
| The partition specified here will be different for almost every user.
|
| It should be a valid swap partition (at least for now) that is turned
| on before suspending.

Thomas
--
Thomas Flaig