Re: Question about sending local email to gmail

* Rich Bloch <richbl@gmail.com> [080117 22:42]:
>    My ISP is Verizon. So, I decided to try using Verizon as an SMTP host
>    (outgoing.verizon.net ). Currently, it appears to be working (with the
>    help of this procedure:
>    http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-exim4-users/2006-July/000714.html

If you wish to avoid the use of the Verizon smarthost, you could
register your own domain (www.richblock.com) with a hosting outfit.

Hosting outfits typically provide a package which includes domain name
registration, server web space, multiple mail accounts, access to a
smarthost, and web-based mail access.  Such a package can be had for
as little as US $10 or $20 per year.  Even a first-rate hosting outfit
charges less than $100 per year.

This approach would give you significantly more privacy than does the
use of gmail.  (Read the fine print of the gmail service agreement.)

RLH