Re: Question about sending local email to gmail

On Jan 18, 9:00 am, "Russell L. Harris" <rlhar...@oplink.net> wrote:
> * Rich Bloch <ric...@gmail.com> [080117 22:42]:
>
> >    My ISP is Verizon. So, I decided to try using Verizon as an SMTP host
> >    (outgoing.verizon.net ). Currently, it appears to be working (with the
> >    help of this procedure:
> >    http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-exim4-users/2006-July/00...
>
> If you wish to avoid the use of the Verizon smarthost, you could
> register your own domain (www.richblock.com) with a hosting outfit.
>
> Hosting outfits typically provide a package which includes domain name
> registration, server web space, multiple mail accounts, access to a
> smarthost, and web-based mail access.  Such a package can be had for
> as little as US $10 or $20 per year.  Even a first-rate hosting outfit
> charges less than $100 per year.
>
> This approach would give you significantly more privacy than does the
> use of gmail.  (Read the fine print of the gmail service agreement.)
>
> RLH
>
> --

This is a good suggestion, but I've gone down at least part of this
path in my attempt to resolve things.

So, here's what appears to have been happening:

--Originally (the past few years), I had exim4 config'd to use gmail
as a smarthost. It worked great for some time.
--Then, about a year ago, gmail started rejecting the emails,
suggesting that I route emails first through a different host (or
similar: I don't recall the specific error message). At that time, I
began using my business site (hosted by dreamhost.com) as smarthost.
--A few months ago, I noticed that I was no longer receiving emails
again. A review of my exim4 logs (which I have since deleted and
really should have kept for review) indicated that it was verizon that
was black-listing my IP address or ISP (I don't recall). In fact, the
rejected message pointed me to a website that listed hosts that
verizon black-listed.

Of course, in retrospect, I should have kept my exim4 mail logs and
used them for reference to help explain what I've been seeing.

So, at this point, I'm using verizon as my smarthost. I'm guessing
that, if verizon has been bouncing my email, using verizon as a
smarthost should resolve my problems (and it has, as of a few days
ago).

That said, it feels like I'm chasing a moving target, I'm hoping to
get a better understanding of how things "should" work so I can get
ahead of these kinds of issues, or least anticipate them.

If anyone can point me to a good overview of how mail works, or better
still, how it can fail (given the changes in how ISPs handle spam),
I'd be much obliged.

Thanks again.