Re: .bash_profile and .bashrc not executing

Martin Marcher <martin@marcher.name> wrote in

> On Saturday 12 January 2008 20:50 John Salmon wrote:
>
>> I'm a new user to Debian Linux. I have the latest version loaded on a
>> dedicated PC with all the default settings. I have added a ~/bin
>> directory to my system. My .bash_profile and .bashrc files were the
>> default files loaded during the install. However, my PATH remains
>> unchanged when I log on even though the .bash_profile file has the
>> lines to add my ~/bin directory. I can make the change manually after
>> I've logged on and can execute files that are in that directory.
>> Also, the aliases set in my .bashrc file don't work. As a check, I've
>> set environment variables in both files and they return null with
>> echo after logging on. I haven't tried re-installing the system from
>> scratch.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
> you did re-login after the changes did you? (i think "bash -l" also
> behaves like a full re-llogin)
>
> hth
> martin

Yes, I did. In fact, I also tried re-booting the system.

Another thing, I tried to run ~/.bash_profile and got "\bash:
/home/johns/.bash_profile: Permission denied" (johns is me). ls -al shows
.bash_prfile access has no execute permission set.

--
John Salmon
salmonjj@comcast.net