Re: .bash_profile and .bashrc not executing

John Salmon <salmonjj@comcast.net>:
>  Martin Marcher <martin@marcher.name> wrote in
>
> > On Saturday 12 January 2008 20:50 John Salmon wrote:
> >
> >> I'm a new user to Debian Linux. I have the latest version loaded on a
> >> dedicated PC with all the default settings. I have added a ~/bin
> >> directory to my system. My .bash_profile and .bashrc files were the
> >> default files loaded during the install. However, my PATH remains
> >> unchanged when I log on even though the .bash_profile file has the
> >> lines to add my ~/bin directory. I can make the change manually after
> >> I've logged on and can execute files that are in that directory.
> >> Also, the aliases set in my .bashrc file don't work. As a check, I've
> >> set environment variables in both files and they return null with
> >> echo after logging on. I haven't tried re-installing the system from
> >> scratch.
> >
> > you did re-login after the changes did you? (i think "bash -l" also
> > behaves like a full re-llogin)
>
>  Yes, I did. In fact, I also tried re-booting the system.

That's excessive.  Reboots are only necessary when you update the
kernel and modules, or change hardware.

>  Another thing, I tried to run ~/.bash_profile and got "\bash:
>  /home/johns/.bash_profile: Permission denied" (johns is me). ls -al shows
>  .bash_prfile access has no execute permission set.

(0) heretic /home/keeling_ ls -lF .profile .bash_profile .bashrc
/bin/ls: .bash_profile: No such file or directory
-rw-r--r-- 1 keeling keeling 1158 2007-06-14 12:44 .bashrc
-rw-r--r-- 1 keeling keeling 1203 2008-01-05 10:03 .profile

Notice I have no .bash_profile, but I do have .profile, and neither of
those are executable.  On startup, bash looks for .profile or
.bash_profile and runs it.  Manually, try:

    source ~/.bash_profile

or:

    . ~/.bash_profile           # that's a period/dot