.bash_profile and .bashrc not executing

I'm a new user to Debian Linux. I have the latest version loaded on a
dedicated PC with all the default settings. I have added a ~/bin directory
to my system. My .bash_profile and .bashrc files were the default files
loaded during the install. However, my PATH remains unchanged when I log on
even though the .bash_profile file has the lines to add my ~/bin directory.
I can make the change manually after I've logged on and can execute files
that are in that directory. Also, the aliases set in my .bashrc file don't
work. As a check, I've set environment variables in both files and they
return null with echo after logging on. I haven't tried re-installing the
system from scratch.

Any suggestions?

--
John Salmon