Re: badblocks -- how much time does it take?

On 01/12/08 15:29, Alex Samad wrote:
On Sat, Jan 12, 2008 at 03:11:57PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
On 01/12/08 11:40, Towncat wrote:
Hi,

I did a

/sbin/badblocks -c 10240 -w -t random -v /dev/sda2
Why?  Don't you trust brand new disk drives?

where sda2 is a 320 gb partition. The process has been running for
approx 18 hours and is just over three thirds. Is this really supposed
to be so slow,
Yes.

                or is there something wrong? The machine is a Core Duo
1,6, 2GB memory.
CPU speed helps, I guess, but always the important factor in disk activity is the disk itself. A 10K or 15K RPM FC drive connected to a 4GBps HBA will do the bad block scan *much* faster than an IDE or SATA drive.

thats a bit unfair comparing a 7K to 10K or 15K.

But that's the point. The bottleneck isn't RAM or CPU, it's the disk drive itself. Faster drive, faster badblocks.

personal note I don't think the fc has much to do with it (if its only a bad block scan and there is nothing else happening )

Faster transfer rates than IDE/SATA.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian
because I hate vegetables!"
unknown