Re: badblocks -- how much time does it take?

On 01/12/08 11:40, Towncat wrote:
Hi,

I did a

/sbin/badblocks -c 10240 -w -t random -v /dev/sda2

Why?  Don't you trust brand new disk drives?

where sda2 is a 320 gb partition. The process has been running for
approx 18 hours and is just over three thirds. Is this really supposed
to be so slow,

Yes.

                or is there something wrong? The machine is a Core Duo
1,6, 2GB memory.

CPU speed helps, I guess, but always the important factor in disk activity is the disk itself. A 10K or 15K RPM FC drive connected to a 4GBps HBA will do the bad block scan *much* faster than an IDE or SATA drive.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian
because I hate vegetables!"
unknown