Re: installing 'hotplug' disrupts device management

On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 07:16:06PM -0800, tom arnall wrote:
> On Friday 11 January 2008 16:19, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
>
> > Show us your /etc/apt/sources.list, is it up-to-date?
>
> ## etch - Debian (currently etch)
> deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free
> deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib non-free
>

> > Confirm that you do have udev installed
>
> don't think it's installed:
>
> kloro@debian:~$ which udevtest
> kloro@debian:~$ which udevd
>
> and:
>
> kloro@debian:~$ ls /sbin/udevd
> ls: /sbin/udevd: No such file or directory
>
> kloro@debian:~$ ls /usr/bin/udevtest
> ls: /usr/bin/udevtest: No such file or directory
>

> > Doesn't udev conflict with hotplug?
>
> my impression at this point is that indeed they do and for this reason the
> installer yanked udev when it installed hotplug. are there any dangers if i
> just 'apt-get remove hotplug' and then reinstall 'udev'?

> > Show us uname -a
>
> kloro@debian:~$ uname -a
> Linux debian 2.6.16.4 #1 PREEMPT Sun Apr 16 06:39:49 PDT 2006 i686 GNU/Linux
>
> i have been able to get my devices working by manually loading the drivers,
> which i identified after several hours of research and tinkering. but i would
> like to replace hotplug with udev, which worked just fine for me before
> installing hotplug. btw, i'm sure udev was on the system very recently, based
> on a global listing i took a few days ago.

In the Etch release notes for upgrading from Sarge (hotplug) to udev, I
think it may mention the specific transition from hotplug to udev.

I think its worth a try with a few precautions:

1.	have a full backup just in case

2.	if you happen to have a UPS available, hook it up to prevent
	an inadvertant reboot in the event of an inopportune
	power-failure.

I haven't used apt-get since Woody; since then I've used aptitude
interactivly.  However, it should work.

Good luck,

Doug.