Re: installing 'hotplug' disrupts device management

On Friday 11 January 2008 16:19, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 10:56:46AM -0800, tom arnall wrote:
> > last night i installed 'hotplug', trying to get a usb wireless device to
> > work. after, per the installer instructions, rebooting the system, a
> > number of my devices were not recognized by the system, or similar.
> >
> > details:
> >
> > 	'usbserial' and 'visor' not loaded at boot
> >
> > 	/dev/pilot no longer existed, i.e., 'ls /dev/pilot' got 'not found,' so
> > i couldn't hot sync my pda (dealt with this by fooling around with
> > ttyUSB0/1 as the device for kpilot and, of course, 'modprobe'ing
> > usbserial and visor)
> >
> > 	the driver for my wifi card was no longer loading at boot time (but got
> > card working doing 'modprobe ath-pci')
> >
> > 	possibly the interface to my PDA as modem was hit, but this could have
> > been due to a coincidental expiration of my USBModem program on the PDA.
> > i haven't spent any time on this one.
>
> [snip some other things that don't show up]
>
> > my questions:
> >
> > 	why is stuff not loading at boot time?
> >
> > 	why does the system not create /dev/pilot when i connect my pda to the
> > pc?
> >
> > 	is it possible to see the messages given by apt-get when hotplug was
> > installed?
>
> Show us your /etc/apt/sources.list, is it up-to-date?
>
> Confirm that you do have udev installed
>
> Doesn't udev conflict with hotplug?
>
> Is this etch?
>
> Show us uname -a
>
> Doug.

Doug,

thanks for getting back to me. below are your questions with answers.

> Show us your /etc/apt/sources.list, is it up-to-date?

## etch - Debian (currently etch)
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib non-free

> Confirm that you do have udev installed

don't think it's installed:

kloro@debian:~$ which udevtest
kloro@debian:~$ which udevd

and:

kloro@debian:~$ ls /sbin/udevd
ls: /sbin/udevd: No such file or directory

kloro@debian:~$ ls /usr/bin/udevtest
ls: /usr/bin/udevtest: No such file or directory

> Doesn't udev conflict with hotplug?

my impression at this point is that indeed they do and for this reason the
installer yanked udev when it installed hotplug. are there any dangers if i
just 'apt-get remove hotplug' and then reinstall 'udev'?

> Is this etch?

yes

> Show us uname -a

kloro@debian:~$ uname -a
Linux debian 2.6.16.4 #1 PREEMPT Sun Apr 16 06:39:49 PDT 2006 i686 GNU/Linux

i have been able to get my devices working by manually loading the drivers,
which i identified after several hours of research and tinkering. but i would
like to replace hotplug with udev, which worked just fine for me before
installing hotplug. btw, i'm sure udev was on the system very recently, based
on a global listing i took a few days ago.

tom arnall
arcata