Re: installing 'hotplug' disrupts device management

On Friday 11 January 2008 20:15, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 07:16:06PM -0800, tom arnall wrote:
> > On Friday 11 January 2008 16:19, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> > > Show us your /etc/apt/sources.list, is it up-to-date?
> >
> > ## etch - Debian (currently etch)
> > deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free
> > deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free
> > deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib non-free
> >
> > > Confirm that you do have udev installed
> >
> > don't think it's installed:
> >
> > kloro@debian:~$ which udevtest
> > kloro@debian:~$ which udevd
> >
> > and:
> >
> > kloro@debian:~$ ls /sbin/udevd
> > ls: /sbin/udevd: No such file or directory
> >
> > kloro@debian:~$ ls /usr/bin/udevtest
> > ls: /usr/bin/udevtest: No such file or directory
> >
> > > Doesn't udev conflict with hotplug?
> >
> > my impression at this point is that indeed they do and for this reason
> > the installer yanked udev when it installed hotplug. are there any
> > dangers if i just 'apt-get remove hotplug' and then reinstall 'udev'?
> >
> > > Show us uname -a
> >
> > kloro@debian:~$ uname -a
> > Linux debian 2.6.16.4 #1 PREEMPT Sun Apr 16 06:39:49 PDT 2006 i686
> > GNU/Linux
> >
> > i have been able to get my devices working by manually loading the
> > drivers, which i identified after several hours of research and
> > tinkering. but i would like to replace hotplug with udev, which worked
> > just fine for me before installing hotplug. btw, i'm sure udev was on the
> > system very recently, based on a global listing i took a few days ago.
>
> In the Etch release notes for upgrading from Sarge (hotplug) to udev, I
> think it may mention the specific transition from hotplug to udev.
>
> I think its worth a try with a few precautions:
>
> 1.	have a full backup just in case
>
> 2.	if you happen to have a UPS available, hook it up to prevent
> 	an inadvertant reboot in the event of an inopportune
> 	power-failure.
>
> I haven't used apt-get since Woody; since then I've used aptitude
> interactivly.  However, it should work.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Doug.

i reinstalled 'udev' with apt-get and did 'dpkg -P hotplug' afterwards
(apt-get previewed that it was going to remove hotplug, but at the end told
me to purge hotplug. weird?), and things are back to where they were before
the hotplug disaster. thanks for your help, Doug and Ron.

tom arnall