Re: Trusted computing [WAS new user question: debian on a Thinkpad T61]

Jimmy Wu wrote:
<snip>

I just got the ThinkPad T61 laptop today.  I went in to system
properties to take a look at the hardware device manager and I noticed
it included "Trusted Platform Module 1.2".  Now, this raised a red
flag for me, as my first impressions of "trusted computing" were
framed by this article:
http://badvista.fsf.org/what-s-wrong-with-microsoft-windows-vista

So, I have two questions:
(1) Is this really as scary as the article makes it out to be? (in
other words, should I be worried that this is on my computer?)
(2) Does Debian support TPM chips? What is the community's take on the issue?
My take is that TPM does have some security merits, but it also has a
lot of potential for abuse.
Google turned up these results of the beginnings of TPM support in Linux:
http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/linux/15574/ibm-brings-trusted-computing-linux
http://lwn.net/Articles/144681/

Never on my machine.
So we need ID chips/cards on the 'net, now, do we?

On disc encription is the direction I'll be heading in.
Regards,

--
David Palmer
Linux User - #352034