Re: strange behavior of etherneth cards

On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 11:24:10PM +0100, Paul Csanyi wrote:
> I have an old PC box that I use as router / gateway.
>
> So far it works well.
>
> There was three etherneth cards in this box:
> eth0 was for my 1. ISp that I use no any more
> eth1 was for my LAN
> eth2 was for my DMZ
>
> Today I change these ethernet cards abowe.
> I remove eth0 and move it to my server machine
> because I want to set up wake on lan. So I want
> to start this server with wakeonlan package.
>
> This ethernet card, that was the eth0 on gateway
> has the capability to wak on lan.
>
> So after this set up I boot on the gateway.
> I try to set up network interfaces
> eth1 and eth2 and to remove eth0 from
> /etc/network/interfaces.
>
> When I restarted networking, I can't to get
> eth2 up.
>
> And that is not all.
> I can't anymore ping my server nor reach
> the web page there.
>
> Then I try to put the 4. ethernet on gateway
> to tidy of the previous eth0 card.
>
> I can't to get eth0 up.
>
> I can't to get working anymore my home network.
>
> Why this happen?
>
> Any advices will be appreciated!

Well you can't have a 1 without a 0.  So, check your dmesg.  You'll
probably find that what used to be eth2 is now eth1, what used to be
eth1 is now eth0; there is no eth2.  Assuming that you didn' move the
cables around, the box thinks that the cards are on different nets than
they are.  You'll have to change the interface numbers in
/etc/network/interfaces after refering to dmesg to see what NIC is what
eth*.

If you can't get this to work, send us pre-removal and post-removal:

$ dmesg | grep -i eth

/etc/network/interfaces.

Good luck,

Doug.