Re: Terminal issues in fresh install

On Sat, Jan 05, 2008 at 09:31:04AM -0500, Peter Smerdon wrote:
> Florian Kulzer <florian.kulzer+debian@icfo.es> writes:
>
> > On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 15:05:10 -0500, Peter Smerdon wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> >> Hi, I too have some issue with UTF-8, although I can install and remove
> >> software without a problem, my logs get filled with perl warnings about
> >> locales.
> >
> > If you want help with that then we need to see the warning messages.
>
> from logcheck:
> Security Events
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
> perl: warning: Setting locale failed.

You could try, as root:

	dpkg-reconfigure perl

> and from cron:
> /etc/cron.daily/man-db:
> mandb: can't set the locale; make sure $LC_* and $LANG are correct
> manconv: can't set the locale; make sure $LC_* and $LANG are correct
> manconv: can't set the locale; make sure $LC_* and $LANG are correct
> manconv: can't set the locale; make sure $LC_* and $LANG are correct

Similarly,

	dpkg-reconfigure man-db

I have found that sometimes a reboot is necessary, and I have no idea
why, after changing the locale for the system. See my other posts on
this issue in this thread et al.

I configured a Lenny system to be fully UTF-8, and it wasn't till
*after* a reboot that the debconf screen and the thread indicators
started showing correctly.

--
Chris.
======