Re: tapes best for backup?

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 04:18:11PM -0600, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
Paul Cartwright wrote:
On Fri January 4 2008, Ron Johnson wrote:

so, what would be a good method..
say for instance MY system. my /home is 164 Gb, with 50 Gb free, so I've used 110 Gb. Right now I do the rsync to a 500Gb Mybook USB drive. But I don't keep the drive connected, so I don't do it often enough..
What I think of as "minimum acceptable" backup is two offline volumes to accept backups, used alternately. Anything less leaves you with all copies of your data online and vulnerable at once -- to a power surge, lightning strike, malware, or idiot sysadmin ("rm -rf /").

Right, but this is on-line (or near-line) backup.  The data on the media
doesn't have to last long, only between backup cycles.  What about
archives?  Or, do you just keep everything on-line (buy more disks for
the computer and bigger USB drives for backups) and do backups and never
archive anything?

Archives are on CDs (older) and DVDs (newer), one copy here, one copy at my mother's house. That's a manual process, but I keep it fairly current.

--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b@dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info