Re: DVD driver

On 1/3/08, David Fox <dfox94085@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/2/08, hce <webmail.hce@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > 2. Can a DVD+R driver work to a DVD-R disk? I thought the different
> > between the DVD+R and DVD-R is the laser beam,  if I can copy DVD-R
>
> It's a bit more complicated than that - dvd-r & dvd+r are somewhat
> different methods to
> write to the disks, and the disks themselves are formulated a bit
> differently, if I understand the various links (1) that I've only just
> cursorily investigated.
>
> That being said, is your DVD drive capable of reading & writing the -R
> and +R formats? Many modern dvd drives are able to do that. What about
> Iif applicable) a dvd-player that's attached to your
> stereo/entertainment system?

It is capable of reading and writing +R format, and it can also read
the -R or copy files from -R disk to the hardware disk, but the
mplayer could not play with them, either from the -R disk or from the
harddisk.

That is exactly a question I would like to ask, how can a comercial
dvd-player to play +R and -R formats? Or, does the DVD-player has a
DVD device for both +R and -R?

> I guess what you refer to as "driver" I'd either want to interpret as
> the dvd media itself or the underlying drive hardware.

I refere to mounted /media/disk or /dev/dvd link where I can access it's files.

> > is it correct? Or any alternatives or tricks to watch video from DVD-R
> > disk?
>
> Can the disk itself be read? That would seem to be the most important
> thing. And that may not have anything to do with the software you are
> using or the drive, but depend more on the quality of the media.

Yes, the disk iteself can be read. See above.

> (1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-R
>      but see the reference "why DVD+R is superior to DVD-R" there too

Yah, have seen it.

Thanks.

Jim