DVD driver

Hi,

I have a DVD+R driver, sometime it can detect a DVD disk
automatically, sometime it is not:

1. If the DVD driver cannot detect a DVD disc inserted to the driver,
what is the command I can use to manually mount the DVD?

2. Can a DVD+R driver work to a DVD-R disk? I thought the different
between the DVD+R and DVD-R is the laser beam,  if I can copy DVD-R
video files to harddisk, then play video from harddisk should be fine,
is it correct? Or any alternatives or tricks to watch video from DVD-R
disk?

Thank you.

Jim