Re: DVD driver

On 01/02/08 18:09, hce wrote:
> On 1/3/08, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
>> On 01/02/08 17:07, hce wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I have a DVD+R driver, sometime it can detect a DVD disk
>>> automatically, sometime it is not:
>>> 1. If the DVD driver cannot detect a DVD disc inserted to the driver,
>>> what is the command I can use to manually mount the DVD?
>>> 2. Can a DVD+R driver work to a DVD-R disk? I thought the different
>>> between the DVD+R and DVD-R is the laser beam,  if I can copy DVD-R
>>> video files to harddisk, then play video from harddisk should be fine,
>>> is it correct? Or any alternatives or tricks to watch video from DVD-R
>>> disk?
>> I don't think there *is* a DVD driver, per se.  There's the UDF fs
>> driver, though.  You might mean that.
> To be hornest, I am not clear how the DVD system works. Is the DVD
> like a CD, the module need be loaded, then be mounted to a file
> system? I guess that UDF fs is the file system for the DVD. I more
> concern with the DVD formats for different DVD RW devices. Are the
> different formats DVD-R and DVD+R only presented in physical device,
> not on a file system? As long as the device is mounted to a file
> system such as UDF, there won't be any difference to read contents
> from the file system, is that correct?
>> What DE do you use?  GNOME, KDE, xfce???  That's what usually auto-
>> recognizes inserted DVDs.
> I am using GNOME.

Does the DVD's icon appear on the desktop?

Open an xterm, make it large, and then run
# tail -n40 /var/log/syslog

See what happens when you put a movie DVD into the machine.  Then a
"burned" disk.

Also, do you have gnome-volume-manager and gnome-mount installed?

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian
because I hate vegetables!"
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)