Re: DVD driver

On 1/3/08, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:

> On 01/02/08 17:07, hce wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a DVD+R driver, sometime it can detect a DVD disk
> > automatically, sometime it is not:
> >
> > 1. If the DVD driver cannot detect a DVD disc inserted to the driver,
> > what is the command I can use to manually mount the DVD?
> >
> > 2. Can a DVD+R driver work to a DVD-R disk? I thought the different
> > between the DVD+R and DVD-R is the laser beam,  if I can copy DVD-R
> > video files to harddisk, then play video from harddisk should be fine,
> > is it correct? Or any alternatives or tricks to watch video from DVD-R
> > disk?
>
> I don't think there *is* a DVD driver, per se.  There's the UDF fs
> driver, though.  You might mean that.

To be hornest, I am not clear how the DVD system works. Is the DVD
like a CD, the module need be loaded, then be mounted to a file
system? I guess that UDF fs is the file system for the DVD. I more
concern with the DVD formats for different DVD RW devices. Are the
different formats DVD-R and DVD+R only presented in physical device,
not on a file system? As long as the device is mounted to a file
system such as UDF, there won't be any difference to read contents
from the file system, is that correct?

> What DE do you use?  GNOME, KDE, xfce???  That's what usually auto-
> recognizes inserted DVDs.

I am using GNOME.

Thank you.

Jim