Re: Anyone have success with bootsplash package?

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 13:10:08 +0200, Stephen Patterson wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 20:00:18 +0200, Nyizsnyik Ferenc wrote:
>> I'm using vga=791. The splash image displays at the grub screen, and
>> the boot messages are "nice". (No graphics, but small and nice
>> characters - haven't counted rows nor columns, but framebuffer must be
>> working.) I have an nVidia GeForce4 video card and a Compaq 7550
>> monitor, using a stock 2.6.18 kernel.
>
> Thats grub-splashimages, not bootsplash.
>
> Anyway, I've got bootsplash working. I installed bootsplash, bootsplash-
> themes-debian, linux-patch-bootsplash and had to build a new kernel
> using the bootsplash patch.
>
> Install the full kernel sources, copy /boot/config* to /usr/src/linux-
> source*/.config then
> "make-kpkg --version=custom1 --added-patches=bootsplash kernel-image"
>
> (but there's a bit more to kernel-building than that)

and I also had to run mkinitramfs > /boot/initrd.2.6.21 to add the splash
image to the initrd so it would get used, then add an initrd line to grub.

--
Stephen Patterson :: steve@patter.mine.nu :: http://patter.mine.nu/
GPG: B416F0DE :: Jabber: patter@jabber.earth.li