Re: Printers won't run

On Fri, Jun 08, 2007 at 09:24:08 -0500, Dennis G. Wicks wrote:

[ snip: We are trying to solve a problem with CUPS when printing on a
  remote printer which is shared on a Windows machine. ]

> Seems to work fine.
>
> dgwicks:~$ smbclient -N -L joyce
> Anonymous login successful
> Domain=[PINEYWOODS] OS=[Windows 5.0] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

[...]

> HPDeskjet       Printer   HP Deskjet 6500 Series

[...]

> This is a "home" network so I don't use ids or passwords. They would just
> unnecessarily complicate things.

Try to change the DeviceURI in /etc/cups/printers.conf to

DeviceURI smb://guest@joyce/HPDeskjet

or

DeviceURI smb://guest@pineywoods/joyce/HPDeskjet

and check if that improves the situation. You have to restart CUPS after
you make a change to the configuration files; to do this, run:

invoke-rc.d cupsys restart

(If this does not work try uppercase letters for user, workgroup and
 server.)

          Florian   |