Re: Printers won't run

On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 17:49:32 -0500, Dennis G. Wicks wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> I have two printers. I set both of them up using the Add Printer Wizard
> in/from Gnome.
>
> I have printed test pages but they are stuck in the queue with a status of
> job-stopped.
>
> The first printer is a windows printer, HP Deskjet 6540, IP connected, and
> all of my windows computers can send to it just fine. Just not my Debian
> Etch.

I would first check if your Linux system can see the Windows printer at
all. The "smbclient" command can be used to list all exported shares of
a remote SMB server:

smbclient -U <user> -L <server>

This should produce a list of shared directories (if there are any) and
printers. <user> is your username on the windows machine and <server> is
its name, the same name that you use if you want to print remotely from
another Windows client. You will be prompted for the (Windows) password.

(In the remainder of this message I will assume that you use CUPS as
 the print spooler on the Linux machine.)

If your printer is listed with smbclient then you should check if it is
defined properly in /etc/cups/printers.conf. You should see something
like this:

<printer> the designation of the printer as reported by smbclient. (The
fact that <user> and <password> are in clear text makes it necessary
that printers.conf is only readable by the CUPS daemon and by root.)

If the DeviceURI looks OK then you should edit /etc/cups/cupsd.conf and
change the line

LogLevel warning

LogLevel debug

Then you should restart CUPS by running (as root)

invoke-rc.d cupsys restart

and try to print again. /var/log/cups/error_log should now contain more
details about what is going wrong. (Post this logfile here if you cannot
make sense of the messages yourself.)

> The second printer has the same problem. It is a local USB connected Epson
> Stylus CX7800. It worked on this computer in it's previous incarnation as a
> Win 2k machine.

The first thing to check is if CUPS can see the printer. Run

/usr/lib/cups/backend/usb

It should list the printer's maker and model, and maybe also a serial
number. Then you should again check the DeviceURI in
/etc/cups/printers.conf. It should look like this for USB printers:

or

DeviceURI usb://<maker>/<model>

or

DeviceURI usb://dev/usb/lp0

If the DeviceURI looks OK then it is again time to turn to the CUPS
error_log for further clues.

> The HP will eventually change to a Stopped state, and I can't resume it.
> I assume this has something to do with it being a shared network printer.
>
> I have poked around and can't find any error messages. The status commands
> that I have found don't tell me anything I don't know already.
>
> Any ideas what might be wrong?
>
> Where can I jab something to get an status/info/error message that will get
> me started on solving this problem?
>
> Many TIA,
> Dennis

          Florian   |