Re: Printers won't run

On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 08:58:55 -0500, Dennis G. Wicks wrote:
> After following the suggestions of Florian and Samuel the Epson CX7800
> prints now. But it won't print test pages. (?) That may have been the only
> problem with it to begin with.
>
> The HP (remote) still doesn't print. Test pages or otherwise.

[...]

> Before I copied the error_log I stopped cups, rm'd the error_log
> and then started cups, then printed a file, not a test page, to
> the HP so there shouldn't be too many extraneous msgs in the error_log.

DeviceURI smb://JOYCE/HPDeskjet

You are not supplying any login credentials to joyce if the DeviceURI is
set up like that. This will only work if your Linux username is
identical to your Windows username and if joyce does not require a
password for that user. Please check if you can see the printer listed
when you run

smbclient -N -L joyce

while you are logged in on your Linux machine as your normal user. If
you can see the printer make sure that "HPDeskjet" is indeed the name
under which joyce reports the printer to samba clients.

          Florian   |