Re: File Notes

Hi Deboo,

On 6/4/07, Deboo ^ <knowledgeful@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm using getfattr and setfattr for now. Actually I made two scripts
to use both of these commands a bit more easily.

Could you mail me the script, please?

I found a problem tho. When a name value (user.comment for example) is
set for a file and later the file is modified, the name value
vanishes, unlike what you mentioned earlier about file notes.

I noticed this too. This is a major flaw. I was thinking of writing a script that first extracts all name/value pairs from a file, write them to a temp file (like getfattr -d >tmp-file), then move the file and set the name/value pair again. But as I have never done scripting in GNU/Linux before, I first have to figure out how this works. I know how to do it in AmigaDOS, though :-)

BTW: what I mentioned earlier about file notes, that they stick to a file whatever you do with it, applies to AmigaDOS.

Greetings, Manon.