Re: [OT] Offtopics and community (was: I also am AAAAANGRY)

On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 18:23:08 +0300
Atis <atis@BEST.eu.org> wrote:

> On 6/1/07, Peter Gruessing <reviewdirector@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I thought this was a Debian Linux mailing list?>????
>
> Yes, this is, but there is often accusation, that this is list for
> users of Debian, and as such, may contain any discussions of Debian
> users.
>
> What i have to propose - create separate ML for offtopic discussions.
> A little background for this:
>
> I'm involved in European student organization, and about half year ago
> a separate ML was created, named junk@. It has no rules, and people
> are encouraged to discuss there anything silly/political/religious,
> without any consequences. What have become of it - it's really
> strengthening community, making people to know each other better. Not
> to mention, that other MLs have become much cleaner and topic-related.
>
> Regards,
> Atis

Yes, but offtopic threads evolve from on-topic ones. It would be very
annoying to see posts like this:

... this is I could do to help you, and see my offtopic opinion on
junk@list.

Not to mention that when people not subscribed to the debian-user
list read an offtopic reaction without the previous context (users
will almost always forget to include it), most likely they will post
several "What are you referring to?" answers.

I just wanted to say that it's a good idea to have an unmoderated
"offtopic" list, but it wouldn't reduce much of this list's offtopic
messages.

--
Szia:
		Nyizsa.

Finally - A spam blocker that actually works.
http://www.bluebottle.com