Re: Pronunciation of common Linux-related words

Ron Johnson wrote:

>>> You can call it /Stinking pile of manure/ if you want, but that's
>>> *not* the correct way to pronounce PostgreSQL.
>> Ron, you don't get it do you?
>
>> The original poster wanted to know the way most people said common
>> Unix/Linux words.
>
>> PostgreSQL *is* pronounced "post-gress-ceu-ell" as you keep insisting
>> (and with which I am *NOT* disagreeing): however, my point was that
>> many, many, many people call is "post-gress", which is an widely-used
>> accepted abbreviation.
>
> Accepted by people who don't know better.
>
> Hopefully when they *do* know better they'll pronounce it correctly.
>
>> Should we call you Ronald?
>
> You can.  No problem!  It is, after all, my name.
>
> Ron, Ronnie & Ronny are acceptable derivatives.
>
>> Should I insist people call me David?
>
> If you want.  Some people do.  For example: I know a guy named
> Andre' who's parents nicknamed him Andy at a young age.  I met him
> when he was grown, married and had a "junior" they called, to avoid
> namespace collision, Andre'.

While we have nothing better to do...

I knew a kid in school named John.  When I ran into him years later and
said, "John, wow, haven't seen you in a long time."

He replied, "My name is Scott."  It appears that he changed to using his
middle name during his college years.  He had the nerve to be angry at
me for not knowing that, even though I had not seen him in more than 10
years.

Joe
- --