Re: Pronunciation of common Linux-related words

On 04/01/07 13:28, Dave Ewart wrote:
> On Sunday, 01.04.2007 at 11:19 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

>>> Most people I know pronounce this "post-gress" (dropping/ignoring
>>> the 'SQL' part at the end).
>> And that's wrong.
>
> Steady, Ron: don't accuse people of being "wrong", when there's a
> subjective way of pronouncing words!

You can call it /Stinking pile of manure/ if you want, but that's
*not* the correct way to pronounce PostgreSQL.

http://lwn.net/2001/features/Momjian/

    CL: First of all, how do you pronounce PostgreSQL?

    BM: It's called Post-gres-cue-el (not Postgre-es-cue-el).
    It's a very unusual name. It's very hard to pronounce. Somebody
    described it as anti-marketing in a sense that it's so confusing
    that people maybe don't even want to say it :-)

    The original database software was called Postgres. When SQL
    was added to it and its development was taken onto the Internet,
    we added SQL at the end of the name. It looks like Postgreee
    plus something at the end, it does confuse people. I really do
    apologize for that :-)

> Besides, this is an abbreviation; yet a common enough one that the
> original poster would probably be interested in hearing about.
>
> "post-gress" is a pretty reasonable abbreviation for
> "post-gress-cue-ell".  Just as "win-ex-pee" for "Microsoft Windows XP"
> or "Debian" for "Debian GNU/Linux" etc.  They don't claim to the the
> full, complete and totally accurate description, but the original poster
> was asking about how they were typically pronounced.  Typically, people
> will use abbreviations.
>
> Even though there may be a 'preferred' way of saying it (as per the
> developers link you sent), that doesn't mean that someone who pronounces
> it differently is *wrong*.
>
> I *write* it PostgreSQL, but *say* it "post-gress" because
> "post-gress-cue-ell" just *sounds* insane.  It's one of those words that
> looks good written, but doesn't sound good spoken.  Everyone knows what
> we mean when we say "post-gress".
>
> This is the most common pronounciation I've heard: perhaps it's a UK
> thing.  Apart from a seminar I attended with a non-UK speaker, I've
> never heard it *said* "post-gress-cue-ell" at all.
>
> And...
>
> In any case, PostgreSQL did *used* to be called simply "postgres" (as in
> "post-ingres" I think) before it's name was modified at some later
> stage.
>
> Dave.

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.