Re: Pronunciation of common Linux-related words

On Sunday, 01.04.2007 at 11:19 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 04/01/07 05:37, Dave Ewart wrote:
> > On Saturday, 31.03.2007 at 16:18 -0700, Dusty Wilson wrote:
> >
> >> PostgreSQL = post-gress-cue-ell or ?
> >
> > Most people I know pronounce this "post-gress" (dropping/ignoring
> > the 'SQL' part at the end).
>
> And that's wrong.

Steady, Ron: don't accuse people of being "wrong", when there's a
subjective way of pronouncing words!

Besides, this is an abbreviation; yet a common enough one that the
original poster would probably be interested in hearing about.

"post-gress" is a pretty reasonable abbreviation for
"post-gress-cue-ell".  Just as "win-ex-pee" for "Microsoft Windows XP"
or "Debian" for "Debian GNU/Linux" etc.  They don't claim to the the
full, complete and totally accurate description, but the original poster
was asking about how they were typically pronounced.  Typically, people
will use abbreviations.

Even though there may be a 'preferred' way of saying it (as per the
developers link you sent), that doesn't mean that someone who pronounces
it differently is *wrong*.

I *write* it PostgreSQL, but *say* it "post-gress" because
"post-gress-cue-ell" just *sounds* insane.  It's one of those words that
looks good written, but doesn't sound good spoken.  Everyone knows what
we mean when we say "post-gress".

This is the most common pronounciation I've heard: perhaps it's a UK
thing.  Apart from a seminar I attended with a non-UK speaker, I've
never heard it *said* "post-gress-cue-ell" at all.

And...

In any case, PostgreSQL did *used* to be called simply "postgres" (as in
"post-ingres" I think) before it's name was modified at some later
stage.

Dave.

--
Please don't CC me on list messages!