Re: Linux kernel image 2.6.23-1 + sound card yamaha YMF-754

On Dec 30, 2007 9:49 AM, Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> wrote:

> Florian Kulzer wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >>>
> >> Good question. Don't know. Javier will have to let us know. My guess is
> >> that not too many people go through a recompile. In 2.6.23-2 there still is
> >> a "simple patch" that I have to disable. Why? Who knows, it apparently does
> >> not involve hw or arch of my setup.
> >
> > All occurrences of
> >
> > #ifdef CONFIG_SND_YMFPCI_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL
> > #ifndef CONFIG_SND_YMFPCI_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL
> >
> > seem to have been removed from ymfpci_main.c in the Debian 2.6.23
> > sources. AFAICT, this parameter has no effect anymore unless you use the
> > vanilla sources (or other non-Debian ones).
> >

> Absolutely true. That was done in
> linux-2.6.23/debian/patches/debian/dfsg/files-1 where the last 2 lines read:

> rm sound/pci/ymfpci/ymfpci_image.h
> unifdef sound/pci/ymfpci/ymfpci_main.c
> -UCONFIG_SND_YMFPCI_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL
>
> I would be tempted to comment out those 2 lines and attempt a compile of
> the Debian kernel.
> But I don't have the card.
>
> Hugo

Again, thanks a lot...  So it seems that it's Debian deciding not to
include the yamaha sound card firmware anymore...  And one could try
"unpatching" the debian kernel source, :)...

Well, if that's Debian decision, maybe what the kernel guys expect
from users is just to install the firmware manually like Florian
suggested (that actually worked).  So far, that's what I'm more
inclined to continue doing, so I don't need to undo what Debian kernel
guys have decided to do, :)...  This at least while it's just a matter
of firmware.  If it were a matter of the driver themselves, then there
would be no other option but to compile the kernel...

Thanks again, pretty useful and enlightening suggestions/solutions...

--
Javier