Re: Linux kernel image 2.6.23-1 + sound card yamaha YMF-754

On Saturday December 29 2007 16:59:09 Javier Vasquez wrote:
> On 12/29/07, Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> wrote:
> > Javier Vasquez wrote:
> > > Happy holidays !
> > >
> > > I have a toshiba satellite 2800-S202, with a yamaha sound
> > > card YMF-754.  From the lspci output I see:
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > > firmware request failed: -2
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > I see this in the changelog for 2.6.23-1 (I am only now
> > dnlding 2.6.23-2):

> > * Remove binary only firmwares for:
> >     - Yamaha YMF724/740/744/754
> >
> > Could that be related?
> >
> > Hugo
>
> Well, the card is YMF754, so if fits into the ones, and the
> problem is also about firmware, so you seem to have identified
> the issue...
>
> If this is actually the issue, is there a way to work around
> it? Maybe downloadind the firmware from somewhere and placing
> into a specific directory?  Maybe just like it's done for
> ipw2100/ipw2200?

Roll your own kernel.org kernel.  Using your existing .config
file, it shouldn't be too hard.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA  USA

"The irony is that Bill Gates claims to be making a stable
operating system and Linus Torvalds claims to be trying to take
over the world."
seen on the net