Re: Linux kernel image 2.6.23-1 + sound card yamaha YMF-754

On Sun, Dec 30, 2007 at 06:42:16 -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:
>> On Saturday December 29 2007 17:53:15 Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
>>> Ron Johnson wrote:

[...]

>>> As the matter of fact rolling the Debian i386_none_686 kernel I
>>> see that the config file has:

>>> # CONFIG_SND_YMFPCI_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL is not set
>>>
>>> just change that, I prefer with make menuconfig and recompile
>>> as set forth in this list previously and voila! you have your
>>> Debian kernel but with the firmware again for your soundcard.
>>
>> Since the binary firmware has been "physically" removed, will that have
>> any effect?
>>

> Good question. Don't know. Javier will have to let us know. My guess is
> that not too many people go through a recompile. In 2.6.23-2 there still is
> a "simple patch" that I have to disable. Why? Who knows, it apparently does
> not involve hw or arch of my setup.

All occurrences of

#ifdef CONFIG_SND_YMFPCI_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL
#ifndef CONFIG_SND_YMFPCI_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL

seem to have been removed from ymfpci_main.c in the Debian 2.6.23
sources. AFAICT, this parameter has no effect anymore unless you use the
vanilla sources (or other non-Debian ones).

          Florian   |