Re: latest radeon driver and full screen video

Romain JACQUET wrote:
Bob a écrit :
The strange thing is that mplayer correctly display films on the second screen with the predefined aspect. *But* I change the aspect to 16:9, the display is not good.

Why are you overriding the aspect of the film? have you tried mplayer settings like monitorpixelaspect = 1 which tells mplayer that your display has square pixels?

Mmm, can you verify your second screen has square pixels, this is important, divide the horizontal resolution of the screen by the physical width of the panel and the vertical resolution by the physical height of the panel, you should get the same number.

Maybe I have forgotten to tell you something important. Even if full-screen films are not correctly displayed, the gnome desktop is fine. Mplayer default display is 4:3. Maybe the default aspect ratio is the ratio of the first screen (1280/1024 = 4/3). But on the second screen (1360x768 = 16/9), the 4:3 aspect ratio shows two black areas on the left and on the right.

You end up on quite complicated soil here, some video codecs and/or containers have the ability to store a pixel aspect ratio flag in the video stream or headers, this is useful as for instance wide screen PAL DVD is often saved in 720×576 but displayed at 1024x576, so the video is stretched horizontally on playback, if you have to override the playback aspect, it's probable that you have a video that, like the above example, has non-square pixels but where the pixel aspect flag is either not present, wrong or not readable by mplayer.

A temporary fix is to call mplayer from the command line and pass it the aspect= option,
                aspect=<0-3>
                     Specify input aspect ratio:
                        0: 1:1
                        1: 4:3 (default)
                        2: 16:9
                        3: 2.21:1

A more permanent solution is to 'fix' the files themselves by repackaging them into an alternative container like matroska that supports an aspect ratio flag in the header, this won't work if the pixel aspect flag is present in the video but wrong, as in all cases I've seen, the flag in the video stream takes priority over the one in the header, in which case you have either to transcode the video with a new and correct aspect flag or fix the present one which is hard, there are tools to do this for h264 and maybe xvid but there's no .deb and I can't find the link at the moment.

I will do more test tonight.

I have find a workaround, this works perfectly with vlc. It means that the problem is not related to xrandr but only to mplayer. I will test with mplayer trunk version.

I would try a bit harder to figure out the cause of the problem first as if its a bug in mplayer, we need to figure out what it is and it'll get fixed, if it's not a bug the newer versions will probably behave in the same way.

have a read of the mplayer man page, it's actually very detailed and not *that* frightening once you've spent a couple of hours going through it.

Good luck