Re: latest radeon driver and full screen video

Romain JACQUET wrote:
Bob a écrit :
Romain JACQUET wrote:
Hello,

When I play a video on the first screen, the video is fine. But I want to play a video on the second screen, I choose the 16:9 aspect ratio in gmplayer, the video is shifted to the up of the screen. It mean I see a black rectangular area on the bottom of the screen.
8< snip

This *sounds* like you're having a problem where the screens have a different vertical resolution and since X deals with a rectangular virtual desktop [0] there is dead space above the second screen but the video output is centered vertically on the virtual desktop not the resolution of the screen. You can probably tell mplayer to move things down, or you could get your second display to center on the virtual desktop using something like
       Option "CRT2Position" "LeftOf 176"
in your xorg.conf if you're using MergedFB, instead of 176 you'd use half the difference in vertical resolution between your primary and secondary displays.
8< snip

First, I would like to thanks you for your answer.

My pleasure.

More details:
You're right, I'm using a non-rectangular configuration: 1280x1024 for the first screen, 1360x768 for the second screen. I use a classical xorg.conf except that I add the Virtual keyword (Virtual 2640 1024).
I activate the second screen with something like:

   * xrandr --output DVI-0 --auto
   * xrandr --output DVI-0 --mode 1360x768
   * xrandr --output DVI-0 --right-of VGA-0

I'm using the latest radeon driver, which support randr 1.2. Before this version, I was not able to use the second screen, because I could not specify a modeline for the second screen. There was no "CRT2Modeline" option... As far I understand, I think the mergedFB had no sense with randr 1.2. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Ahh yes the xserver-xorg-video-ati package in testing is broken in more ways than one at the moment, and as a result I've not had any experience with xrandr and non matched screens [0] have you had a look at the thinkwiki page?
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Xorg_RandR_1.2
It's a bit Intel centric but good nonetheless, as for the CRT2Modeline option, I don't know if it has any relevance with xrandr but with MergedFB it goes in the Device section anyway as similar to xrandr there is no second Screen definition, try it.

The strange thing is that mplayer correctly display films on the second screen with the predefined aspect. *But* I change the aspect to 16:9, the display is not good.

Why are you overriding the aspect of the film? have you tried mplayer settings like monitorpixelaspect = 1 which tells mplayer that your display has square pixels?

I will do more test tonight.

Good luck.

[0] I have a big CRT I run at 1600x1200 but I only pull it out if I'm doing a lot of photo editing, otherwise I'm on 2 1280x1024 LCDs