Re: compatibility problems

On Fri, Dec 28, 2007 at 04:59:17PM -0500, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 28, 2007 at 11:41:42PM +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:
>
> > If the DSL modem they provide connects through an ethernet port then you
> > should have no problems. My modem handles all the connection stuff and
> > even has an integrated firewall. Ironically it is probably running on
> > linux itself.
> >

> If it is, and they're not giving you the source code for what they're
> doing, then they're breaking the GPL.  ...

Really?  They're providing a service (however lamely), and I can't see
why they'd be compelled to provide all the details because of that.
AIUI, they'd need to provide the source code if they modified the GPLd
software, but I don't think mere use of it requires disclosure.

Ken

--
Ken Irving, fnkci+debianuser@uaf.edu