Re: crashed disk

On Fri, Dec 28, 2007 at 01:39:40PM -0800, hiamall@gmail.com wrote:

> I had a disk crash on my debian etch workstation and now I'm trying to
> recover data from that drive, basicaly with dd, but i wonder if there
> are better solutions.

Backups before the crash?

You need a functioning system.  Don't power up that crashed disk until
you are ready to pull all readable sectors off it into one image file.
There are dedicated programmes to do this and will do multiple read
tries.  Note that this does not involve mounting the disk.

Use aptitude search functions to find programs for disk recovery.

Doug.