Re: compatibility problems

On Friday December 28 2007 16:14:32 Ken Irving wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 28, 2007 at 04:59:17PM -0500, Douglas A. Tutty
wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 28, 2007 at 11:41:42PM +0200, Andrei Popescu
wrote:
> > > If the DSL modem they provide connects through an ethernet
> > > port then you should have no problems. My modem handles all
> > > the connection stuff and even has an integrated firewall.
> > > Ironically it is probably running on linux itself.
> >
> > If it is, and they're not giving you the source code for what
> > they're doing, then they're breaking the GPL.  ...
>
> Really?  They're providing a service (however lamely), and I
> can't see why they'd be compelled to provide all the details
> because of that. AIUI, they'd need to provide the source code
> if they modified the GPLd software, but I don't think mere use
> of it requires disclosure.

If you distribute binaries built from GPL'd s/w, you *must*
provide an address to the *recipients* where they can request the
source code plus complete build instructions (even a compiler if
necessary).  A modest processing fee is encouraged, but remember
that the GPL was written back when WAN speeds maxed out at
56kbps, so tapes and snail-mail ruled.  Obviously it's easier now
just to throw it up on the corporate web/ftp site.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA  USA

"Organic chemistry is the chemistry of carbon compounds.
Biochemistry is the study of carbon compounds that crawl."
Mike Adams