Re: [OT] 2 access points wireless setup

On Mon December 24 2007, Javier Vasquez wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I wanted to setup 2 access ponts, 1 per floor in my house (for some
> reason the signla doesn't reach the other floor no matter which one I
> place the AP).
A thick floor can do that.

> What I've understood is that I then would need to use the same SSID,
> and perhaps the same channel, and WEP if used for both, or same WAP
> key if used for both.  Is that right?  Would the right thing be to set
> different SSID's instead (I guess if so then maybe different channels
> are required to prevent interference)?
If you plan to use the same SSID,WEP keys then use different channels.
Easiest, set the APs on auto channels.

> I'm wondering, since I know there might be interference between the 2
> AP's, and I don't know what would happen in the zones under which both
> AP's are reacheable, only one stronger than the other...
If this is the case, do NOT use the same ssid. It can get quite messy if the
zones overlap and you have the same ssid.

If your AP supports the repeater function, set one to be a reapeater for the
other zone.

Mihira.
--
Random Quotes From Megas XLR
Coop: You see? The mysteries of the Universe are revealed when you break