Re: Preventing IP conflict

On Thu, Dec 20, 2007 at 06:38:11PM -0900, Ken Irving wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 21, 2007 at 02:44:03AM +0000, T o n g wrote:
> > Ops, yeah, I meant DHCP. I'm using DHCP instead of static ip. both under
> > windows and under linux.
[snip]

> > Can I do that myself from my Linux box?
>
> I don't know what command was pointed out, but you can get all the settings
> for your machine, and possibly very little about others on the network. Most
> networks use switches instead of hubs, and the effect is to isolate you from
> (most) other traffic not directed at your machine.  You may still be able to
> see broadcast packets from others, and then might be able to see the offending
> ip and its mac address, e.g., using ... (can't think of the name...) ... a
> utility to inspect packets on your box.

when you have a conflict, make dhcp give you another address, don't just renew,
release and renew (you might have to flush the dhcp client cache)

then ping the old ip address, use arp -n and find the mac address, that should
take you a step closer to finding the machine - give that info to the help
desk, they should be able to track the mac  through the network.

I am presuming that you are on the same ethernet segment, probably are if you
are having an ip conflict