Re: aptitude dist-upgrade complaining about evolution being broken?

Followup is bottom posted...

On Dec 18, 2007, at 3:09 AM, Sjoerd Hardeman wrote:

Rick Thomas wrote:

When I do "aptitude dist-upgrade" on my Lenny testing machine, I get:

The following packages are BROKEN:
  evolution-exchange evolution-plugins gnome-desktop-environment
The following packages will be automatically REMOVED:
  evolution
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  evolution
  evolution-webcal libasound2 libdjvulibre15 libenchant1c2a
liblog4j1.2-java
The following packages are RECOMMENDED but will NOT be installed:
  liblog4j1.2-java-gcj
5 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded. Need to get 1674kB of archives. After unpacking 9310kB will be freed.
  gnome-desktop-environment: Depends: evolution (>= 2.6.3) but it is
not installable
  evolution-exchange: Depends: evolution (>= 2.10.2) but it is not
installable
  evolution-plugins: Depends: evolution (>= 2.10.3) but it is not
installable
Resolving dependencies...

Keep the following packages at their current version:
evolution [2.10.3-1 (testing, testing, now)]
evolution-webcal [2.10.0-1 (testing, now)]

Score is 191

Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?] q
Abandoning all efforts to resolve these dependencies.
Abort.

Any thoughts on what's wrong or what to do about it?
Yes, the evolution-webcal is for a new version of evolution that is not yet available in testing yet. Accept the option offered by aptitude (to keep evolution) and wait for the upgraded evolution to become available
for testing.

Sjoerd

Rick

OK, I did that, and now it says:

The following packages are BROKEN:
  evolution-exchange evolution-plugins gnome-desktop-environment
The following packages will be automatically REMOVED:
  evolution
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  evolution
  evolution-webcal
1 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 95.6kB of archives. After unpacking 9310kB will be freed.
gnome-desktop-environment: Depends: evolution (>= 2.6.3) but it is not installable evolution-exchange: Depends: evolution (>= 2.10.2) but it is not installable evolution-plugins: Depends: evolution (>= 2.10.3) but it is not installable
Resolving dependencies...

Remove the following packages:
evolution-webcal

Keep the following packages at their current version:
evolution [2.10.3-1 (testing, testing, now)]

Score is 190

Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?] q
Abandoning all efforts to resolve these dependencies.
Abort.

I don't use evolution-webcal, so I'm not too worried about removing it, but I'm a little concerned when it says that gnome-desktop- environment is broken. Is it going to try to remove that next?

Happy Solstice!

Rick