Re: aptitude crashing x?

On Sat, Dec 08, 2007 at 08:01:14AM -0800, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 07, 2007 at 07:30:43PM -0800, joseph lockhart <jwl_andlovesaidno@yahoo.com> was heard to say:

> > >  Does it go through the usual reboot procedure (so
> > >you see "stopping
> > >down ___ ... done") or does it just abruptly reset?
> >
> > yes it is the full reboot, stopping, killing, then
> > rebooting, just as if i told it to reboot from the
> > menu
>
>   OK, then I doubt it's a hardware problem.
>
>   Did you install any new packages just before this started happening?

What if something is triggering a [whatever apm is now] event that
causes an orderly shutdown as if you had hit the power button?  Sure
software can do that, but a hardware fluke could too.  Could a fritzy
PSU do that?  If the MB BIOS is montioring voltage won't it shutdown on
unstable power supply or a device going over-temp?

Is there any way to:

	1.	Set up a serial console and log everthing?

	2.	Set the kernel to produce lots of commentary on what is
		happening and send that to the console?

	3.	Set syslog to send everything to the console?

?

Do the aptitude thing as in the past, from X.  Repeat from a normal term
(no X running).  Exercise the system not using aptitude:  try making a
tarball of /usr.  If you're set up for compiling, compile a kernel.
Exercise the disk swap system: put /tmp on tmpfs, put a big file on it
(unpack usr.tgz), then start up iceweasel and open lots of tabs; get the
machine to really use swap.

Just some ideas to track it down.

Doug.