Re: aptitude crashing x?

> Does this happen every time you run an upgrade?
>  Does "apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade" do
>the same thing?

can't answer this one, i only use apt-get source
--download-only and that only rarely

>  Does it get through the whole upgrade process and
>then reboot, or is
>it rebooting while downloading packages?  Are the
>packages that you
> were
>trying to upgrade upgraded afterwards?

after the first odd run, updates work normally

>  Does it go through the usual reboot procedure (so
>you see "stopping
>down ___ ... done") or does it just abruptly reset?

yes it is the full reboot, stopping, killing, then
rebooting, just as if i told it to reboot from the
menu

>  What sort of hardware is this running on?  If you
>run some other
>process that exercises the network / CPU / disk a
>lot, does that have a
>similar effect?  e.g., download and unpack a very
>large .tar.gz file.

running on a compaq presario (usual wal-mart
substandard box from about 3 years ago

>  Off the top of my head, the most likely hardware
>diagnosis is a power
>problem -- maybe a loose cable or a flaky supply.

supply went bad on it last year and has been replaced,
and like i said it happens about daily not every time
i run the command

jwlockhart

Registered Linux User #458799
this user is penguin powered