Re: aptitude has poor exit status behaviour

bts tag 233129 d-i
thanks

Daniel Burrows wrote:
>   I'm currently busy working on other parts of the program.  If you want
> this in a hurry your best bet is to either send a working patch to a bug
> report or (if such a patch already exists) to harass me via email until
> I apply it. :-)  Preferably all such harassment should be conducted via
> emails sent to bug reports so that it gets archived with the bug and
> filtered into my debbugs folder.

Please consider yourself harrassed. :-)

In d-i, we've implemented everything we need to get a nice progress bar
during the system's initial update of the Packages files from the
mirror. Except that apt doesn't send progress info for apt-get update
over the status-fd interface (#448908). Happily aptitude does send such
progress info over that interface, but since it doesn't propigate
download failures, lack of which would utterly break d-i, we can't
switch to using aptitude there.

(FWIW, #282408 is no longer on the d-i code path due to other changes,
and if #445035 were fixed, it might break tasksel in some situations
(though I'm sure I could deal with that).)

--
see shy jo