Re: [OT] sandpaper [Was: Re: results: debian-user's favourite FLOSS]

On Tue, Dec 04, 2007 at 08:25:46AM -0800, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 04, 2007 at 09:45:07AM -0500, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 03, 2007 at 09:59:52AM -0800, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> > For pure woodworking (as opposed to, say, surface prep prior to
> > repainting something on the house), I don't use sandpaper at all.  My
> > shop doesn't have it.  I use scrapers if I need or, or leave a true
> > planed surface.
>
> Nice way to take my analogy as a means to veer wildly OT ;-)

There's a thinn veneer of T if you hook the router up to your debian box
for CNC :)

> I'm no fan of sandpaper unless it's attached to a machine to do the
> sanding for me. I love a planed or scraped surface but have little
> opportunity to produce one.

How sad.

> > By the time you buy a router and either buy or build a good solid router
> > table, you could have bought a 2 HP shaper.  The only advantage to the
> > router route :) is to have a portable router or if you are in an
> > apartment where plunking a 500# machine down in the spare bedroom would
> > go over like, well, a 500# shop tool.
>
> If you can only have one tool, a decent router is a good choice. I
> don't disagree about the shaper vs router and table, but it's really
> hard to: trim laminate, edge or groove large panels, make key-holes,
> mortise hinge plates, etc. At a minimum (for the work I do, anyway)
> I'd need a nice laminate trimmer. and probably a router as well. MIght
> as well just use the router which does all those things reasonably
> well for a lot less money (up front).

If you can only have one woodworking tool, make it a combination stone.
Then you can make every other tool eventually.  To make life easier, if
you can only have one tool, make it a vertical milling machine.  You can
then make a metal lathe and between the two, you can make anything
in the world, eventually.

> > While we're at it, I'm not a fan of the table saw either.  They only
> > come into their own with sheet stock; I never use sheet stock.  For
> > solid stock, I used the bandsaw then cleaned it up on the jointer or
> > shaper, back when I had a full shop.  Now I just do it by hand.
>
> huh. I use my table saw for everything. I"ve even made cove moldings
> on it. But, to paraphrase someone else, when its the only tool you
> have, everything begins to look like sheet stock. To each their own
> though.

Yeah, if your work revolves around sheet-stock and laminates, then a
table saw and router are the way to go.

Doug.