results: debian-user's favourite FLOSS

Hi debian-user,

Here is a summary of the mini-poll that I conducted recently on Debian-user:

Firefox/Iceweasel and GIMP reign supreme for the third year running
but are now joined by aptitude, each having 21 votes. I was surprised
by Quod Libet receiving one vote but more surprising was F-Spot which
also got just one and Tomboy receiving only 2 votes. The most
surprising category is "misc utilities" because none of the 2005 and
2006 winners, sudo and grep received enough votes (three) to appear
here. Nobody but me mentioned Tracker, while Beagle also got just a
single vote. There was no mention of Banshee and only two votes for
Tomboy. The most favourite non-free piece remains Adobe Acrobat, and
one wonders when Evince and other free equivalents will catch up.

I only show results which received at least 3 votes:

audio editor:
* Audacity (11) -> 2005 and 2006 winner

audio player:
* Amarok (7) -> 2005 winner
* XMMS (5) -> 2006 winner
* Audacious (3)
* VLC (3)

cd-ripper:
* Sound Juicer (4) -> 2005 winner
* Grip (3) -> 2006 tie winner
* cdparanoia (3)

DBMS:
* MySQL (8) -> 2005 and 2006 winner
* PostgreSQL (3)

desktop environment OR window manager:
* KDE (8), GNOME (8) -> 2005 and 2006 winner
* XFCE (7)
* Fluxbox (5)

development:
* GCC (6)
* Emacs (4)
* Vim (3)
* Bash (3)
* Make (3)

disc burner:
* K3b (13) -> 2005 and 2006 winner
* cdrecord (4)

e-mail client:
* Mutt (8) -> 2006 winner
* Thunderbird (Icedove) (8) -> 2005 winner
* Evolution (3)

file manager:
* Konqueror (8)
* MC (7) -> 2005 and 2006 winner
* Nautilus (5)
* CLI (6)

finance:
* GnuCash (5)

ftp client:
* gFTP (8) -> 2005 and 2006 winner
* ftp (4)
* wget (3)
* MC (3)

image editor:
* GIMP (21) -> 2005 and 2006 winner

image viewer:
* gThumb (6) --> 2005 winner
* Kuickshow (4)
* GQView (3) -> 2006 winner

instant messenger:
* Gaim/Pidgin (12) -> 2005 and 2006 winner

mathematics:
* Octave (4) -> 2005 and 2006 tie winner
* bc (4) -> 2006 tie winner
* dc (3)

misc utilities:
* screen (5)
* ssh, svn (3)

* Pan, Slrn (4)

p2p:
* Azerus (4)

package manager:
* aptitude (21) -> 2005 and 2006 winner
* apt-get (9)

pdf-reader:
* Xpdf (9) -> 2006 winner
* KPDF (6)
* Evince (6)

spreadsheet:
* OOo Calc (12) -> 2006 winner
* Gnumeric (6)

tag editor:
* Amarok (2)

terminal emulator:
* Konsole (6)
* GNOME Terminal (5) -> 2005 and 2006 winner
* xfce4-terminal (4)
* xterm (3)
* rxvt (3)

text editor:
* Vim (14) -> 2006 winner
* Emacs (7)
* nano (3)

video player:
* MPlayer (15) -> 2005 and 2006 winner
* VLC (6)
* gxine (5)
* Kaffeine (3)

web browser:
* Firefox (Iceweasel) (21) -> 2005 and 2006 winner
* Konqueror (5)
* lynx (4)
* links (3)
* w3m (3)