Re: NVIDIA and mplayer now working

On 12/1/07, Paul Cartwright <ale@pcartwright.com> wrote:

> ~$ uname -a
> Linux paulandcilla 2.6.22-3-686 #1 SMP Mon Nov 12 08:32:57 UTC 2007 i686
> GNU/Linux

Yeah, every time you update the kernel you have to redo the nvidia
driver for that kernel, it's a hassle, but not too terribly difficult
(I finally got it working with the nvidia in the 'sid' repository) but
I am still using the same kernel (2.6.22-2) that I was using before -
but I do dist-upgrades once a week or so. It should be that
dist-upgrade doesn't automatically upgrade the kernel, but that
depends on whether you install the numbered version explicitly vs. the
'generic' 2.6 package (linux-image-k7 or whatever), AIUI.

> running Debian testing.
> NOW my NVIDIA driver is working again, and so is mplayer.
> so it looks like the fact that the nvidia driver wasn't working also

Yeah, it's good to have the nvidia driver, but things should still
work even with the 'nv' driver. Other than being slower, I hadn't had
problems running vlc or mplayer. Sometimes -vo options help, such as
-vo X11 or other choices. One thing I never got to work right was the
-vo mga/xmga output driver when I had a Matrox G450 card (I gave it
away). That seems to have worked with Mandrake but I never got the mga
driver to work with Debian's mplayer.